Christmas Tree Paw Print Ornaments!!!

 Give your pooch something of his own to bark about this year when your guests "ooooh" and "aaaaah" at your glimmering Christmas Tree!



I adopted Sebastian the morning of Christmas Eve last year so this Christmas will be extra special as we celebrate our one year anniversary as a family.  

This ornament is sooooooo easy and fun.  Just follow these simple steps to create your own:

INSTRUCTIONS

First things first - make sure your pooch's paw is clean to avoid a dirty paw print!  Roll a piece of Sculpey into a ball and then flatten it with your hand (Sculpey can be bought at any craft store).


Make sure you have enough to fit the whole paw plus additional room for decor and ribbon hole.  The first thing you want to do is the actual paw print, trust me!  Make sure you press down each area of the paw.  If it doesn't work out the first time, roll it up into a ball and start over.  If your dog is wiggly, this will be the hardest part.


After you get a decent paw print you're happy with, it's time to decorate!!  Start with the hole for the ribbon.  You can do a circular hole with a nail of some sort or you can do a flat rectangular hole with a misc. object.  The end of my spoon worked perfectly.


The decorations for the ornament are endless!  You can use rhinestones, beads, carve your dog's name, make shapes out of sculpey, etc.  I used a nail to carve the year "2010."


When you're all done decorating, bake the clay at 275 degrees in the oven.  This piece took 6 minutes.  Larger dogs will require bigger pieces of clay and will need to bake a little bit longer.  Then glaze the ornament to give it that finished look and extra protection.


Let the glaze dry, string some ribbon through, and voila!!  Time to hang that baby up on the tree for all to see.


Cheers to Holiday crafts!!!

23 comments:

Brittany Joe said...

I just made one and I loooove it!! Thank you so much for the idea!! Can't wait to put it on the tree next year!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this!! My dog was recently diagnosed with lymphoma, and I think this is such an awesome keep sake for years to come, all year round. Thanks again!!!

Anonymous said...

Love this! Cute idea...have you tried it with cats?

Kerajinan Tangan said...

Wow.. nice christmas ornaments. I should make this at home. Thanks for the idea=)

Unknown said...

Can't wait to do this with the dog, think the cat might try to rip my face off though... We will see!!

Anonymous said...

What kind of dog is yours? Mine looks very similar but he is a mutt!

Anonymous said...

Hi! These are so cute!! I have not used sculpey before - and I just had to do this adorable ornament, haha.... so after it is baked so it is "hard," is it still a little bit bendy? Just wondering because I guess I was expecting it to be hard hard. haha :)
Thanks!

Sew Doggy Style said...

Nope, it shouldn't bend at all! Either you didn't bake it all the way, orrrr you bought the Sculpey clay that is meant to be "bendy," but it would say on the package.

xoxoxo,
Erika and Sebastian

Sailing with bare feet said...

Thanks! Cute and great idea!

Unknown said...

It's an American Eskimo, I have one as well. Wonderful dogs! :) Doing this with mine soon.

Anonymous said...

I read you shouldn't bake Sculpey *and other brands* in the same oven as food, is this safe to do?

Sew Doggy Style said...

I believe you just can't bake the sculpey on the same "pan." Have a special pan just for sculpey, like a cookie sheet or something and you'll be fine.

xoxoxoxo,
Erika and Sebastian

Anonymous said...

Most polymer clay packages instruct humans to wash their hands after handling, to avoid ingesting toxins from the clay. If you must do this, please thoroughly clean your pet's paws after taking the impression, before they have a chance to lick them. Ingesting polymer clay residue can't be good for them either.

Anonymous said...

I bought paint for glass/ceramics. It says to bake the item. Will that cause the ornament to be overbaked? Should I paint before the first baking?

Unknown said...

Sebastian looks like he is related to my Connor, also adopted (7 pounds, 2 years old). Do you know what breed mix S. is?

-- Thea

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to try it with my ferrets lol. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

It works with cats. I just did my cat and dog.

Unknown said...

All you have to do to enter the drawing for this Halloween toy is to make sure you're on my "follow" list. That's it!!can-c

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I'm going to do this with my bunnies. (:

Anonymous said...

I found that with my cats paw it didn't work well. You can't even see his imprint of his paw:(

Anonymous said...

Tried this with my 2 cats and it turned out great. I had to press down their paws and each toe into the clay a little to get a good impression though. My older cat slept through it, but my younger cat ran away after the first try. Had to wait awhile and lure him back to get the winning impression. Overall, a great keepsake!

Basil Hameed said...

Very informative article
Alif Solutions Dubai
Android App Development Companies in UAE
Web Development Companies in UAE
IOS App Development Companies in Dubai

Susan Dour said...

Thank you I've been planning for Christmas super early this year, because I've a feeling 2022 is going to be special, as I'm hosting family at my own house for the very first time. So far I figured out to light up my tree using solar energy thanks to a solar panel installation Victoria BC company but now I really need dog-themed ornaments. Thanks dearly for sharing these ornament design ideas. Can't wait to get off work and pull out the arts and crafts kit tonight!

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...